Tuesday 1 November 2011

Barcelona, Volcanoes and the Greeks

Day 2 - Tuesday

So the population of the world hit 7 billion yesterday - on hallowe'en - I wonder if that is the sign of things to come, the universe joking with us.
So fitting that the day after we go and look at aincent ruins - what would future civilizations make of our ruins, what would they think of us? Will we leave the planet in a state in which it is possiable for a future to exist. Maybe no one will examine our ruins. What ever any future civilization think of us, I hope we are used as an example - an example of what not to be.
The other thing we saw today was a volcano, that had been exploited, a huge chuck quarried out of it. The idea of quarrying a volcano just sounds wrong to me, even one that last erupted 10,000 years ago. But that is a blink of an eye for a volcano. I think its important that we cannot tame volcanoes and earthquakes and I don't think dormant volcanos should be ignored, even extinct ones. We need to be reminded that there is a force bigger than us - if not for the planets sake, for our sake.
The architect who designed La Sagrada Familia - Gaudi - said that there was no greater architect that god, therefore La Sagrada Familia could not be built higher than montjuic. Taking the religous statement out of that, the message is a valid one - we can't out do nature and the natural forces of the world.
After inspecting my water bottle it turns out that its a product of guess who - thats right Coca-Cola (what are the chances?).

2 comments:

  1. Amazing point and great relating it to Gaudi. Definitely use that in an essay :) x
    P.S - Only you could find water made by Coca-cola because I certainly haven't found any =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. รถ I guess I´m just that profound - effortlessly (and yes I used the dots to make a shocked face just because I could!)
    It´s never going to go into an essay I´m not writing these blogs for an essay I´m just spilling thoughts (which might come in handy for a diary) - but these are not draft essays :)

    ReplyDelete