Saturday 17 March 2012

First Opinions, Careers Advice and 2012

First Opinions

   Recently my eyes were opened to how first opinions are often wrong, and sometimes hugely wrong. I had to visit a little welsh town, in order to do my research project for my degree. I visited Llanrwst I didn't have a very good day. The weather was overcast with occasional showers, the town looked deserted and grey, the people who I met in the town, were mostly grumpy and unfriendly. I came away from this encounter with a bad view of Llanrwst. However I returned to Llanrwst last week, this time with nicer weather, a mild spring-like day with sunshine. This time the streets were lively and everyone I spoke to that day was very friendly (if not over friendly in comparison). Needless to say my views on Llanrwst have greatly improved and I feel bad for the way I judged it the last time and apparently just like you shouldn't judge a book by its cover I think that you shouldn't judge a place on one day/visit.
 
Careers Advice - The gaping hole.

   So since year 9 (ages 13-14) pupils are made subtly aware for career options, after all that is the year you pick you GCSE's and god forbid you not choose based on the career you want. Again during years 10 and 11 Career options and advice are thrown around freely making a conversation about your future prospect unavoidable and as this is the last year of compulsory education it is expected if not necessary. If you choose to go to 6th form (I can't speak on behalf of colleges as I went to 6th form) Again careers advice and suggestions are shoved down a pupils throat (I mean you need to know this sort of thing before you choose your degree course, right?)

   So taking into account all the effort mentioned above in giving career advice, why is it that after 2 and a half years at uni is the first hint at advice the ramblings of a lecturer at the front of a bus on the way back from a trip (not to discredit the advice or the action - It was interesting and helpful) but why has it taken this long for a hint? Is it that we are supposed to know all this before we get here? Or is it assumed that the advice is not needed? Because in my opinion that sort of advice and outlining options is never needed more than during the 3 years in uni at the end of which you are expected to settle into a career. It can't be that the idea of having a set career is outdated, (I've never felt more pressure to 'have a plan' or to have a set career that I want to have). So why is there a gaping hole in the career advice system?

 2012 - Apocalypse?

   Last week I went to a lecture at my uni by Myles Dyer about the Internet and using it to solve the problems in the world. During this lecture he suggested that the world and society would have to be hit hard before the majority realised that there needed to be change.
   I stumbled across a song by Gotye who currently has a different song at #1 in the UK charts. But this song that I stumbled across is called Eyes Wide Open, the subject of the song is focused entirely on the destruction of the planet and how we refused to change in order to save it.

If only this was the song that is in the charts - maybe it would open some eyes but it looks like it will take something drastic to make change. If loads of people can care about what one man if Africa does surely it should be so hard for people to care about the planet that effects every single person on the planet. 2012 may not be the Mayan apocalypse. But maybe it is the start of the end, it won't happen over night but maybe this year starts being the final straw for the planet. The End has to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment